TRINITY -A BRIEF HISTORY
The first English Church in Shepherdstown was a wooden structure erected about 1739 as a chapel to the church located in Winchester, Virginia, Fredrick Parish. A stone church was built north of our current location in 1769, and by the early 1800s it was known as Trinity Church.
The present Church was built and consecrated in 1859. Following the Battle of Antietam, Trinity was designated as the community place of worship and was one of the few buildings in Shepherdstown not used to house wounded soldiers. The Chapel, located beside the Church was constructed about ten years after the Church. The Parish House Church School addition was completed in 1986. In 2006, Trinity House was purchased and renovated, and is used for our offices. The Fellowship Hall was also built in 2006 to provide office space, additional Sunday School rooms and fellowship space for a growing congregation.
Occupying a prominent place in the chancel is the Stevens organ, which is almost as old as Trinity. It was brought to Trinity from a Rhode Island church in 1972. It was totally renovated in the early 1990s, including the restoration of the original stencil designs on the facade pipes.
For you history buffs, attached is a comprehensive history prepared for the Shepherdstown 150th year in 2009.